Comic book fans rejoice, as Glasgow is holding its biggest ever comic book and general geek-culture convention next month in the form of MCM’s Comic Con Scotland.
On the 7th of September, fancy dress fetishists (and those who can’t be bothered) will revel in a huge range of international and local comic culture, with a vast array of events and celebrity guests lined up. The event coincides with the 20th anniversary of cult TV classic Babylon 5, and visitors can celebrate this in style with two very special guests from the much-loved sci-fi show – Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan, who have since worked in a variety of other popular movies and TV shows.
Bruce Boxleitner played John Sheridan, commander of the Babylon 5 space station, as he strove to keep the peace between rival alien empires, prevent the Earth Alliance’s descent into tyranny and defeat the evil sinister Shadows but is equally well-known for his dual role as Alan Bradley and Tron in the 1982 classic Tron, and its recent sequel Tron: Legacy. He is also at the show to promote RISE, the first illustrated novel in the Lantern City saga, a steampunk-themed TV series currently in development which he is executive producing.
Mira Furlan played Minbari ambassador Delenn in all five seasons of Babylon 5. One of the pivotal characters of the show, Delenn grows from shy priestess to one of the galaxy’s most formidable military and political leaders… as well as falling in love with Sheridan. Fans of Lost will recognise Furlan as Danielle Rousseau, the scientist shipwrecked on the island over a decade before the crash of Oceanic Flight 815.
See below for a full list of confirmed special guests at this year’s event:
- Warwick Davis – Warwick’s extensive Hollywood credits include the title character in Willow, Wicket in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter movies. He recently starred in Ricky Gervais sitcom Life’s too Short.
- Bruce Boxleitner – Star of much-loved sci-fi show Babylon 5 – where he played protagonist and commander of the Babylon 5 space station John Sheridan – and 1982 classic Tron and its recent sequel Tron: Legacy, where he played the dual role of Alan Bradley and Tron.
- Mira Furlan – Starred alongside Bruce Boxleitner in Babylon 5 as Minbari ambassador Delenn. Fans of Lost will also recognise Furlan as Danielle Rousseau, the scientist shipwrecked on the island over a decade before the crash of Oceanic Flight 815.
- Hannah Spearritt – Following musical fame as one of the original members of S Club 7, Hannah joined the cast of Primeval in 2006, starring in all five seasons of the dinotastic British sci-fi show in the role of lizard-loving zookeeper Abby Maitland.
- Kai Owen – Best known for playing Rhys Williams in popular Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood, Kai has appeared in numerous stage productions and TV shows, including Being Human and Waterloo Road.
- Vic Mignogna – Famous as the voice of Ed. Elric in hit anime Fullmetal Alchemist, ace voice artist Vic Mignogna has starred in host of major anime series, from Broly in the Dragon Ball Z films to Ikkaku Madarame in Bleach to Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club.
- Tom Hopper & Rupert Young – Played Sir Percival and Sir Leon in hit BBC fantasy series Merlin. Tom is set to star as Billy Bones in upcoming Treasure Island prequel Black Sails, set to debut in January 2014. The show has already been renewed for a second season.
- Over 70 talented comic artists and writers, including Tanya Roberts; Yishan Li; Subversive Comics; Matt Dyson; T Publications; Lisa Cummins; Edward Ross and Kit Jo Yuki.
Tickets for MCM Scotland Comic Con are available here and will allow your priority access to the event over those who choose to pay on the door.